Friday, September 08, 2006

I Fucking Love It


I've just been looking at the image attached to yesterday's post and something struck me. Well two things actually
  1. How much more respect politicians would get if they actually spoke like that
  2. And more importantly how much I actually like swearing

No I don't mean that I wander around displaying behaviour that would embarass the average tourettes sufferer, although I do have my moments. What I mean is I truly love the richness it adds to our language.

If used properly the word fuck can have a truly dramatic impact. Perhaps nowhere more obviously than in the works of N.W.A./Ice Cube and Quentin Tarantino. Both artistes pepper their creations with a selection of words guaranteed to make Tippa Gore blush but us, the audience, whoop with delight.

It is only when these words are over used do they begin to lose their impact.

For me the finest swearing celebrity of the all has to be Richard E. Grant he does it with such style and so politely.

Don't believe me? Then check out the classic Bruce Willis turkey Hudson Hawk. For the boardroom scene alone Mr Grant takes the prize.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Living in America, adjusting the swearing content of my conversations was one of the biggest adjustments I made (so as not to offend the locals). The cop the biscuit for offended by swearing prudes.

At the other extreme, the tractor driver on the local farm where I grew up used a swear word in every sentance. "Nice fuckin' day...See ye fuckin' later...

Anonymous said...

Even better is the way kids use swearing for emphasis. My five year old sounds just like his mum when he swears. Bugger!